Monday, October 1, 2012

Filling the bucket - a letter to Helen's teachers at Floris Elementary School

Hi Mrs. Baker,
This is Helen's mom. I have one positive feedback that I think you will enjoy to hear.
Soon after the school started, Helen talked to me about bucket in one of our nightly chat. It is about this invisible bucket that if you do something nice to others, you will fill not only theirs but yours too. Initially I was wondering how that would help a kid to understand this complex abstract concept of being nice to others. All parents have taught their kids to be "NICE" to others. Not sure they really know what it means besides just giving the swing to the othre kids to play and say hello and good bye, etc.
One night last week, during our bedtime rountine (reading and talking), I asked Helen if she has gotten to know more friends. She said yes. I asked her who they are. She said, "I don't know all their names. But I have different friends for different activities." "How does it work?" I asked of her. She said, "For example, I have play ground buddies and I have bus riding buddies. There are couple little kids on my bus always sit alone. I will go sit with them to be nice. I fill their bucket, also mine."
I was so surprised to hear that and glad to see that she is embracing this idea of being nice to others in an abstract yet very practical way. I think she got it in her own way. Then I thought about the reward bucket in most of the electronic games that kids play these days. There is no wonder the young kids took this concept in. You guys hit the jackpot!
As a parent, raising kid is a constant struggle, reward and learning expreience. Helen is my oldest. So I am stumbling all the time for lack of experience. I am so thankful that we run into teachers like you who teach our kids not just academic knowledge but also how to be a good, strong and useful person in the society.
THANK YOU!
Jeannie Otis

No comments:

Post a Comment